Initial reactions and observations
- Bayern Munich probably have the best attack in the world right now, but the defense continues to be shaky. While Sule and Lucas may have been out, there’s no excuse for the two goals the team conceded today. Nagelsmann needs to do another defensive rethink — the Gladbach game has exposed many flaws in the setup.
- Another hat-trick for Robert Lewandowski, and on his 100th Champions League game to boot. Shame he missed his penalty, or else it would’ve been a perfect performance from him. Give the man a Ballon d’Or already!
- Good to see Omar Richards get more minutes today. The lad’s been showing signs of the talent Bayern saw in him to sign him from the English Championship. He really can tackle — let’s hope his development continues.
- Leroy Sane didn’t exactly look comfortable playing as a true attacking midfielder, but he did get a goal and assist. So, yay Nagelsmann? Please play Muller next time, though.
- Dayot Upamecano misses the Kyiv game with a yellow card suspension. Let’s hope suspensions don’t become a pattern for Bayern this season, especially in the knockouts.
Full time: Bayern Munich win 5-2 for the second game running.
84’ — GOAL! Lewandowski makes it 5-2! Hat trick for him.
74’ — Goal. Benfica pull one back yet again. Bayern’s defense threatens to spoil this evening.
61’ — GOAL! Lewandowski makes it 4-1 for Bayern, excellent assist by Sane.
49’ — GOAL! Leroy Sane makes it 3-1 for Bayern!
45’ — The second half is underway! Can Bayern come out of this with a win?